Spelt waffles with spiced apple compote
1¼ cups of spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 envy™ apple, grated
4 envy™ apples, cut into 1cm cubes
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cardamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 star anise
1 cup of water
Zest from 1 orange
- Preheat waffle maker. In a large mixing bowl add spelt flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture and gently whisk to combine. Remove excess liquid from apples and gently fold through batter.
- Ladle about ½ cup of batter to the waffle maker, ensuring the mixture is evenly spread. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Repeat process using remaining batter.
- Add the apple pieces, spices, water and orange zest to a medium pot and cook on low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the apples are soft.
- Remove the star anise prior to serving.
Top waffles with compote and serve with Greek yoghurt.
Recipe created for Montague Apples
Image by Michael Woods