2½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup icing sugar
Zest from 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup cold milk
5 envy apples, cored, quartered and finely sliced
Juice from 1 lemon
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp hot water
- Add flour, icing sugar, lemon zest and salt to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together oil and milk. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and combine well. Gently knead the dough into a disc and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 150°
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured benchtop and roll with a rolling pin.
- Press the dough into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing until it is smooth and lined evenly.
- Prick a few holes in the dough base with a fork. Line the dough with a sheet of baking paper and top with pie weights. Blind bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Combine apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, vanilla extract and spices. Mix well until all the apples are well coated.
- Arrange the apples over the crust and return to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes until the crust is golden and the apples are tender.
- Whisk together maple syrup and hot water and brush the glaze over the apples. Serve immediately.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt.
Recipe created for Montague.